Biblical Foundations of Literature Blog(redux)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Today oddly draining due to full influx of new information. For example, I now know of the mystery religons of Eleusis, dedicated primarily to Demeter and Persephone. They were open to males, females and slaves, and involved some kind of sacred ritual which no one was able to speak of. In all probablity this ritual involved something being said, something being done, and something being shown. Prof. Sexson is of the theory that the thing said may have been "rain concieves." I was immediately reminded of some ancient Chinese saying(can't remember where I heard it) describing how when it is raining the sky is making love to the earth. Anyway.

There is the word kerygma, which means proclamation. According to Frye, this is what the Bible is aimed at.

We also touched on the end of the book of Job, where God speaks to Job out of the whirlwind and says ( in essence) through a poem " Have you any conception of what I have to deal with as Creator of the universe? N0! I am mightier than you are! Be submissive!" I am reminded of Virginia Woolf's comment, upon reading Job, that she didnt' think God came out of it very well. I'm inclined to agree, to a certain extent. I do think that there is something to the idea discussed by Frye that doubt is not harmful to faith, but that it is the dialectical opposite of faith. And therefore, Job is getting at something that his three so-called friends(who say one must NEVER question God) are not.
Incidentally, I do think that the theory that Job(or at least the middle section of Job) was written by a Greek interesting. Highly unlikely but interesting.

Then on to the Gospel of Mark, the earliest of the synoptic Gospels. The writing style employed within it is(to use another word I learned today) parataxis, which means that the most frequently used words are "and" and "immediately".
One thing reading Mark, which stood out to me, was how very often after having performed a healing miracle Jesus tells the person(s) to tell no one. Which of course they do. Why?

I'll also have to ponder a bit on seeing the parable as an attack on the stuctures of one's expectations. Never really thought of that.

PS. Thank you for reassuring me even more in the conclusion I've reached that Dr. Laura sucks. Ignorance and intolerance typically do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home